Thursday, January 3, 2013

PROPHECY FAN ART BY NATALIE WHIPPLE

I'm crossposting this blog post from the Thirteener's blog. It was up yesterday and I get to share what the marvelously talented Natalie Whipple, author of the seriously fantastic TRANSPARENT, made for me:

Today Is PROPHECY Day! Huzzah!


Guys! It's me, Natalie, and I'm so very beyond excited to have the privilege of being the Thirteener who gets to talk about PROPHECY by our very own Ellen Oh.

Because I freaking love this book. Like, you have no idea. I know I love a book when it makes me want to draw—that's pretty much my brain saying, "I wish these characters were mine and I need to make them belong to me somehow!"

Not every book incites the need to draw in me, but from page one of PROPHECY I could feel my left hand itching to sketch Kira's yellow eyes, the palace where she lived and defended her kingdom from demons, the haetae her father gave her, the monks and cute warrior or two she met along her grand journey...

Can the animators of Avatar: The Last Airbender just adapt this for me, please? Because, c'mon.

PROPHECY is the story of a girl who is scorned for her gifts instead of revered. The story of a kingdom on the brink of destruction by demons, the war that ensues, and a fresh addition to The Hero's Quest tradition. And at the heart of it all, PROPHECY is a story about family.

So if you're looking for a book packed with adventure and non-stop action, look no further! It's the perfect book for the teen who prefers battles, legends, and non-western fantasy.

And because I love Ellen and PROPHECY so much, I want to end this debut post with some art I drew especially for the occasion.

These are two of my favorite characters from PROPHECY—Jaewon and Seung. They make such a great duo. And, hello, Jaewon. Mmm.


And this is my girl, Kira. Man, I love her and her "tiger eyes" and her kick butt warrior skills and her love of her family. She is everything I'd want my daughter to be.

Happy debut day, Ellen! I hope you enjoy every minute of it, and I can't wait to run out to my local bookstore and get a copy for me AND my little sister. You guys should buy it too, just sayin'.


Thank you Natalie! I'm so in love with her art and humbled not only by  her incredible talent, but that she was inspired by Prophecy! I couldn't be happier or prouder!!

3 comments:

Charles Gramlich said...

Great images! I like those very much.

Kimbra Kasch said...

LOVE that Kira!!! Way-to-GO Whipple!

moonrat said...

this is really, really great. damn. i wanna be kira.

Search This Blog