Thursday, April 2, 2009

Random Funny Things My Kids Say - Part 27

My parents were over for the weekend and were watching the kids. We had eaten dinner and the kids forgot to clear the table.

Mom: You kids have to do more to help around the house.

Oldest: We do! We clean up our rooms and put away our stuff.

Mom: No, that's just your stuff. You need to do more to help your mother.

Angus: Like what?

Mom: When your mother was little she did lots to help. She mopped the floor, set the table, made dinner, did the laundry, washed the dishes, and lots more.

The kids stare at my Mom in shock.

Angus whispers to Oldest: Poor Mommy, I'm so glad Grandma isn't our Mommy. She's mean.

Youngest: Grandma, Angus called you mean!

Angus: I meant she was mean to Mommy. Not now! You are a nice Grandma! The bestest nicest most wonderful Grandma in the whole world. (Way to work for that birthday present!) But well, you were kind of, sort of, a little bit mean to Mommy.

Youngest: Yeah like a wicked stepmother mean.

Grandma just laughs.

Angus turns to me: Did Daddy have to work like a slave for his Mommy too?

Me: No.

Oldest cuts in: He's lucky.

Me: No, it's cause he's a boy.

Oldest: Oh yeah, boys are useless.

19 comments:

Lana Gramlich said...

*LOL!*

Melissa Amateis said...

LOVE it!

Spy Scribbler said...

Hah! That's a good one! :-)

Travis Erwin said...

I resemble that remark.

Rena Jones said...

CLASSIC!

J. L. Krueger said...

Your girls are priceless, but clearly they get it from you!

As a dad of three girls myself, I feel DaMan's pain at being subjected to these neverending slights.

Hopefully they make up for with it with lots of hugs!

Anonymous said...

Yeah, but if we weren't so useless, what else would you girls have to talk about?

Anonymous said...

Aaaaaah . . . the pampered life. Yes, as a Korean male, household duties were not on the menu.

However, try pulling weeds and vines from a 100 ft row of bushes only to find out that the red rash covering your arms, legs, and neck (for two weeks in August!) is from the poison ivy that came with the weeds and vines! [Fine, boys may not be so bright as well.]

Nowadays, I'm an outcast among my Korean male peers.

Ridiculed for my knowledge of laundry detergents and softeners.

Laughed at for my opinions on the flavor differences imbued by regular vs light olive oil.

Oh the shame!

But if it means my girls grow up without thinking that "this a man's job" or "that is a woman's job" . . . I don't mind at all!

Da' Man

JaneyV said...

Ah yes - I remember chores. Slave labour for children -or so I thought. How was I to know that I was being trained in survival skills? This effectively makes my mother a ninja master...

Again your children's insights are a lesson to us all. So funny. And may I commend Da'Man on his maturity there. (He's playing us - right?)

Unknown said...

Hahaha! So cute!

Charles Gramlich said...

I think boys have their uses to girls. At least some girls

LarramieG said...

Well, by not having to do anything, boys tend to grow up...useless. ;)

Stacy Nyikos said...

Priceless! My kids have to do chores around the house, but it's nothing like what I had to do. Of course, I was a capitalist entrepreneur at an early age. I was just begging to do work to make money, like mow the grass at 9. Yep. My parents so had it made!

Merry Monteleone said...

Your daughters are awesome... okay, maybe not for Da Man, but he'll grow to appreciate their opinion of boys once it comes time for them to start *gasp* dating them.

Oddly enough, the traditional household chores for Korean boys sounds pretty close to the ones for Italian boys...

I'm raising my kids medigone (slang for american) - the boys can do dishes and the girls can pull weeds... and the mama can read a book in the shade (yeah, cuz that happens)

Unknown said...

LOL! Your kids are just priceless!

Kappa no He said...

Words of wisdom from the babe's mouth.

Mary Witzl said...

Your girls and mine would get on like a house on fire if they were the same age. No one had to show them how to be feminists; it was their default setting.

I visited Korean friends in Tokyo once. The husband went into the kitchen for a beer and his m-in-law told him to stay out -- that men who went into the kitchen too often risked getting something important chopped off. I wonder if that doesn't have something to do with Korean men wanting to stay out of the kitchen?

laughingwolf said...

we are pretty useless, for much of the time ;) lol

Kiki Hamilton said...

HA! I hope she had the appropriate eye roll when she said that. It's a sad reality...might as well teach 'em young!

Search This Blog