Friday, September 7, 2007

Sunset

















Sunset Straight On
Copyright by Slack12

I have a slideshow link for best sunsets on my igoogle account which is how I found this talented professional photographer's work on Flicker. His stuff is incredible - every picture a work of art. I've fallen in love with several of his pieces. And he generously allows a creative commons license which allows me to share with you all the beauty of his work. I hope you enjoy his work as much as I do.

If you were to ask me what about this piece really gets to me, I think it would be the harmony of light and shadows. The blue of the sky tapering into the layered clouds and then absorbed in a burst of color. A secret house all dark and untouched by even a single ray of light. To me this is like the first line of a mysterious book. We need to dig deeper to find the story beneath. And I think that is what intrigues me so much about this particular picture. I could feel a story roaming on the grounds, dancing in the rays of the sun, hiding behind the dark curtains. It told me a tale of 2 children who had died in their family home while playing one day. A freak accident, grieving parents, a house shut up in darkness. Shadows swallowing it up so that the suns rays were always a hand's span away, but always too far. Two small ghostly forms play sadly in the darkness, wistfully hoping for the sun to break the shadows hold on their house and send them home again. To the light.

It's not just a picture. It's a story.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Great story! I think we love the same things. In photography, artwork, books and movies, I love mystery -- what's underneath the surface and in the shadows. Beautiful photograph.

Anonymous said...

Absolutely beautiful! Thanks for sharing. Came over from Lisa's site.

Anonymous said...

Great take on the picture. You never know where a sudden burst of creative inspiration will come from.

Anonymous said...

There's always a story as long as there's an image to inspire it. Beautiful image and great story.

Search This Blog