Wednesday, October 8, 2008

Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning

Hi! My Mom is Ello and she asked me to do a blog post on my favorite book because she is very busy. I am 9 years old and I am in fourth grade. I love reading. It is one of my favorite hobbies. I try to encourage people to read more books instead of playing on electronics, which I learned from my Mom. I hope that there will be many more authors in the world who will write good books that I can read. Including my Mom.My Mom is always encouraging me to read and loves to buy me lots of books. She was excited to buy Violet Raines Almost Got Struck By Lightning because she says she was blogging friends with the author. She wanted to read it first but I beat her to it. I wanted to be the first to read it, but it took a little longer because I had to finish the Golden Compass first. My Mom has a rule that you must finish one book before you can start a new one. My sister, Skye, does not like this rule. She is always trying to read many books at the same time.

Anyway, I loved this book. Let me tell you about it.


Violet Raines is a regular 11 year old girl with a best friend named Lottie. They are fine until a new girl Melissa, starts hanging around with Lottie a bit too much. This is no fun for Violet. But it gets worse. Lottie’s house gets struck by lightning so she and her sisters stay with Melissa and then weird stuff happens because Lottie starts watching lots of TV and starts talking about boys. Will Violet change Lottie back and be friends with Melissa or will she have an enemy forever?I loved this book. It was very funny and I was smiling whenever I read it. I really liked the part when Melissa dared Violet to kiss Eddie. Violet pushed Eddie down onto the bench after she kissed him. He was so shocked he ran away. She chased him but he was too fast and she couldn’t catch him. The next day she tries to apologize but he runs away again. This was really funny! I can’t believe a girl would kiss a boy like that! I would never kiss a boy just because someone dared me to so I thought this was so funny. I also liked the part when Violet, Lottie, Eddie and Melissa saw a crocodile and everyone ran away except Eddie, he just stood there and watched the crocodile with amazement. It was so funny that everyone was screaming and running away.

My favorite part of the book was Violet. I liked Violet a lot. I would want to be friends with someone like her because she’s funny and a very responsible friend. She is loyal and brave. She is a good friend.
My mother always encouraged me to read more and always would buy me books. Her encouraging me has made me really love books and reading and I am so glad I read this book. It is my favorite and I am Ms. Danette Haworth’s biggest fan. I wrote an author letter at my school and I signed my letter – Sincerely, Your Biggest Fan! I hope Ms. Haworth gets my letter. I hope she will write more books about Violet. I want to read more books like this one. I hope that other authors (like my mom) will write great books like Ms. Haworth.

I really want to read more funny books about Violet. I really wonder what Ms. Haworth’s next book will be about. I really hope it is like this one.

(Note from Ello - Oldest read the first 2 paragraphs of my novel, said "I don't get it!" and walked away. Sigh. At least she loved Danette's book!)

50 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow, a guest author! I have not read "Violet Raines" and now I think I will have to, since you wrote such a good recommendation.

Two of the books I liked at your age were "Dear Mr. Henshaw" by Beverly Cleary and "From the Mixed Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler" by e.l. konisburg. I think you would like the character Claudia in the "Mixed up Files" book.

Anyway, thank you for your review and for giving your mom a blogging break since she's so very busy. Please come back and write for us again sometime!

Anonymous said...

ello, grats to your daughter for an excellent review...

reading/reviweing may lead to writing, so best be on your guard :O lol

Anonymous said...

reviewing... rats!

Anonymous said...

LOVED this review. what a intelligent post. thank you ello's daughter. =)

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Ello's daughter! I hope you'll visit lots more.

Anonymous said...

i read somewhere that you're as likely to get struck by lightening as you are to get eaten by a shark.

i'm not sure if this makes me feel better or worse.

Anonymous said...

Now there's a review worthy of the name.

Anonymous said...

Fabulous review!!! I have to get this one, it sounds like such a fun story and I loved the passage they posted on it at book roast.

Don't feel bad, Ello, your ms is for an older audience I think, so I'm sure your astute readers will grow into it... and adore it.

Anonymous said...

Wonderful post, Ms 9-year-old! You clearly have your mother's gift for words!

My son is seven. I don't know if this is a book that a boy would like - what do you think?

When I was 9 I liked Tales of a Fourth Grade Nothing and Superfudge by Judy Blume. Also the Encyclopedia Brown mysteries.

Thanks for the lovely review!

Anonymous said...

"I would never kiss a boy just because someone dared me"

You are very smart! Don't forget these words of wisdom.

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Oldest, for that great review!

Anonymous said...

Well, after that brilliant review I'm going to have to track down Violet Raines. Though I have to confess, I'm like Skye - I'm always trying to read more than one book at the time - I'm not sure though that it's such a good idea!

Anonymous said...

. . . plus she'a a mean sweeper!

Da' Man

Anonymous said...

That's for the post, my dear! Excellently done.

Anonymous said...

What a wonderful review. When will oldest's blog be up?

Anonymous said...

Great review. I will have to check it out for my youngest daughter. Keep on reading and writing!

Erica

Anonymous said...

Ms. Haworth is very lucky to have such an excellent fan to spread the word. And yours is a wise policy about kissing boys. In fact, I would go one further and say you should never kiss boys at all. Ever. Thay have cooties.

Anonymous said...

Well done Ello's daughter, what a great blog. Your mum needs to watch out!
:)

Anonymous said...

This is really cool!!!
Very nice Ello, and your daughter is a great writer (like her mom!)
:-)

Anonymous said...

I love it too. Who wouldn't love :=”Violet Raines”

Anonymous said...

Fun!

You make parenting seem like it might not suck! :-)

Anonymous said...

Dear Mysterious Guest Author,

Thank you so much for your wonderful review of Violet Raines. I am touched and pleased that you enjoyed the book so much. The kissing part was one of my favorite parts, too.

I have to agree with everyone else here--your post is well-written, very well expressed--you have a way with words. I truly mean that.

It is still dark here in Florida, way early in the morning, and I just sat in front of the computer with my cappuccino. I'm starting my day off with your review; now it's guaranteed to be a great day!

Thank you so much!
Danette

Anonymous said...

To Ello's oldest daughter: I hope Ms. Haworth not only reads your letter but your blog post as well. She'll be proud and you should be too!

Anonymous said...

Dear Aerin,

This is Summer. Thank you for your nice comments. I will try to read Dear Mr. Henshaw and From the Mixed up files of Basil E. Thanks for the advice.

Sincerely,
Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Laughingwolf,

Thank you for saying my review was excellent. I love writing too! Just like my Mommy.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Cindy,

Your welcome! I am glad you liked my review.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Jacqui,

I will definitely write again for my Mommy! I liked doing this. It inspired me to write more.

Thank you.

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Moonrat,
Thanks for the information. I'm glad to know that. I'm now feeling tingly.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Charles,

Thanks for your comment. I'm glad you liked my review.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Merry,

THanks for your nice comment. You will love this book!

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Mom in Scrubs,

I think boys might be embarassed by this book. I have read Superfudge and am now reading Tales of a fourth grade nothing. I recommend your son read Tales of Despereaux which is a wonderful book.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Pacatrue,

thanks for your comment. I will never kiss a boy like that.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Precie,

Thank you for your comment! I'm glad you liked my review.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Da Man,

I know you're Daddy!!

Love you!

Summer

Anonymous said...

Dear Absolute VAnilla,

Thanks for your comment. Take my advice, read only one book at a time. ONce I was reading 2 books at a time and I got them mixed up.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Jason,

Thanks for the compliment. I'm glad you liked it!

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Anti-Wife,

Thanks for your nice comment. How can I make my own blog? I will ask my Mommy. Oh Mommy said No.

Oh well,

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Erica,

I hope your daughter likes it but if she is under 9 she shouldn't read it because it talks about stuff you should know at the right time. Like bras and kissing boys.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Conduit,

You should know that since 3rd grade I now realize cooties do not exist. But boys are stinky! But you can't catch stinky.

Thanks for your nice comments.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Akasha,

Thanks for your comment. I hope my Mom doesn't read what you said! She'll get jealous!

Sincerely,
Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Chriseldin,
I hope I am a great writer! I wish I could write stuff like that in school all the time. It would be fun.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Kim,

I know! Who wouldn't!

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Steve,

Kids are nice if you give them candy.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

Dear Danette,

I was so excited to see you write back to me! Thank you so much for writing such a perfect book! I'm happy you liked my review. I hope one day I can write a book like you.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh
Your Biggest Fan

Anonymous said...

Dear Larramie,

She did! And I am so happy she did!

Thanks for your kind words.

Sincerely,

Summer Oh

Anonymous said...

you are most welcome, summer...

with your mom as your guide, i'm sure you'll soon be a great writer, too :D

Anonymous said...

Oldest,

You are a great reviewer, young lady. I'm impressed, but then again, your mother is "Ello the Great." You have a wonderful example of grace and humor and excellence in life. I can't wait to read YOUR book, the story that only you can tell.

Anonymous said...

Summer, you are a most kind and thoughtful young lady. Thank you for letting me know about Ms. Haworth. That's exciting.

Anonymous said...

Oy! I missed a post by Oldest??

What a great review, Oldest. I'm sure Ms. Haworth loved that review. I am so looking forward to another review from you! :-)

Ello, what a smart daughter you have. Wonderful. I love it when kids read. :-D

Anonymous said...

I'm way behind in commenting but great review. I too read Violet's story and blogged about it. I en joyed it just as much as you.

Search This Blog